Zucchini is still taking over the garden! Time for a recipe that I can use in multiple ways while using up a lot of zucchini!
Enter . . . zucchini spread. My family is loving this on homemade sourdough bread. Personally, I love the spread mixed into some fresh pasta. Add a bit of chicken and this is heavenly. Now I can’t keep it in the refrigerator and I may actually run out of zucchini! Don’t tell my neighbors though – I don’t want any extra!
I like a mix of yellow and green because I like the look but feel free to use whatever is available. The yellow ones are a bit sweeter which may be why I liked this so much on pasta. Make sure you drain as much water as possible. I know it’s a bit messy but it’s really worth it to put the shreds in a towel and roll it up, then squeeze a few times and you’ll be surprised how much water comes out of this vegetable. As you are sauteing use the spatula to squish the shreds until it’s almost like it’s melting.
- 4 cloves garlic
- ½-3/4 sweet onion
- 2 pounds zucchini
- 1 tsp. + sea salt
- ¼ cup ghee
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Finely grated lemon zest (optional)
- Mince garlic and dice onions. Allow to sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Coarsely grate zucchini. Place in a colander or on a towel. Sprinkle 1 tsp. sea salt on zucchini. Allow to drain for 5 minutes or more.
- Squeeze grated zucchini in a towel to remove as much liquid as possible.
- Heat a skillet to medium high. Add ghee and allow to melt some. Add onions and sauté until translucent.
- Add zucchini and sauté until zucchini begins to “melt” or is spreadable.
- Add garlic and sauté for another minute.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add lemon zest if using.