Yoga is a meditation practice that has been around for many centuries. It has a number of positive effects on the body, mind and soul and has been known to be able to cure almost any ailment.
One of the many reasons that people practice yoga is for weight loss. Certain asanas can help tone your body and help you shed the excess fat and weight that you’ve been trying to. Yoga for weight loss works better as is it boosts the overall health of your body apart from helping you shed excess weight.
Here are some asanas that you can try, to lose weight:
The bow pose (Dhanurasana):
- Lie down on the floor-on your stomach.
- Slowly lift your legs and try to stretch and hold your legs with your hands.
- Stay in this bow like posture for at least 30 seconds and then let go.
The bow pose improves your digestion and appetite. It can cure constipation and gastrointestinal problems as well. Apart from this, it flexes your back and improves overall flexibility.
The locust post (Shalbasana):
- Lie down on your yoga mat- on your stomach.
- Raise your left leg about 10 inches. Ensure that your leg is straight; don’t bend your knees.
- Try doing the same with your right leg.
- To end this asana, trying to raise both legs together and stay in that position for 30 seconds.
- Make sure your hands are under your thighs.
This asana stimulates the abdominal organs and the (autonomic) nervous system.
The half spinal twist (Ardha Matsyendrasana):
- Sit on your yoga mat with your legs spread out.
- Bend your left foot at the knee and place it over the right leg.
- Bend your right knee and fold that leg in, such that your right heel is under the left buttock.
- With your right hand, hold your left toe.
- Twist your trunk while inhaling, with your left arm encircling your back as you twist. The palm of the hand should be facing outwards.
- Inhale and exhale slowly.
This asana stimulates the heart, liver, kidneys and lungs.
The cobra pose (Bhujangasana):
- Start by lying face down on your mat.
- Your hands should be placed on either side, palms flat.
- Now, raise your head and look upwards while bringing your palms close to your shoulder, elbows erect.
- Slowly shift the weight from your stomach to the hands, lifting your upper body.
- Stretch your shoulders back so that your chest is thrust out.
- Your hands are still bent at the elbows at this point. Straighten them out to stretch arms, making them perpendicular to the floor.
- Relax your back and shift the weight onto your arms (which are straight).
- Slowly go back to the previous position and follow the steps backwards to release this pose.
This asana improves blood circulation, cures indigestion, constipation and relieves stress.
These yoga poses are great to detox the body and help you lose weight. They stretch and work on the muscles that can accumulate fat such as the torso, abs, arms and thighs. Practicing these poses regularly will definitely help you lose weight. Time to say goodbye to those love handles, forever!