Can you tell watermelon is in season? Eating locally means extra recipes using the same ingredients and I have watermelon to use up! Luckily, watermelon makes a great appetizer to offer guests and this recipe cuts the sweetness with a bit of savory.
Watermelons do not ripen after being picked so choose carefully. First, look for a yellowish spot where the melon has sat in the soil, if it’s a regular melon (versus seedless). Thump it and you should hear a dull thud not a hollow sound. Look for smooth rinds that aren’t too shiny or dull.
Watermelon Appetizer Ingredients:
- Cubed watermelon
- Basil leaves
- Lime wedges
Watermelon Appetizer Directions:
- Cut slices of prosciutto lengthwise.
- Pierce one end of a piece of prosciutto onto the skewer. Add one cube of watermelon followed by one piece of basil. Wrap/weave prosciutto over watermelon and basil threading the prosciutto onto the skewer.
- Add another cube of watermelon followed by another piece of basil. Wrap/weave prosciutto over watermelon and basil threading the prosciutto onto the skewer.
- Repeat to create multiple skewers. Arrange skewers on serving tray.
- Squeeze with lime wedges.