There’s nothing quite as comforting as walking in the front door to the smell of homemade food cooking. Unfortunately for my family working all day doesn’t allow me to be home cooking (unless I’m working on recipes). Enter the slow cooker or crock pot. I have a number of slow cooker recipe books and I’ve found most of the recipes to be bland, boring, and frequently unhealthy. So, I’ve begun mastering my slow cooker.
I’ll be presenting a Slow Cooker Class January 22nd including three other slow cooker recipes Lasagne Casserole, Chili, and Stuffed Chicken. Sign up soon and if you’re attending long distance, send me your questions to answer during the webcast. Together we can demystify the slow cooker and have you making great meals that are ready when you are.The picture shown includes brown rice, which I had leftover so the recipe doesn’t include the brown rice. If you’d like to make brown rice in the slow cooker add a cup of rice and 1/2 cup of stock to the liquid ingredients. You won’t end up with quite as much sauce for the meat but the taste and texture is wonderful.
Slow Cooker Chicken A La King Ingredients:
- ¼ cup finely chopped celery
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 1 medium red pepper, diced
- 3 cups small fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 4 chicken breasts
- 2 Tbs arrowroot
- 1 cup coconut milk
- ¼ cup sherry
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
Slow Cooker Chicken A La King Directions:
- Mix first five ingredients into slow cooker. Stir.
- Place chicken over top in single layer.
- Combine coconut milk, arrowroot, and sherry. Whisk until well integrated.
- Pour over chicken. Add sea salt and pepper.
- Cover slow cooker. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.