It just wouldn’t be fall and the holidays without pumpkin pie on the table. It feels almost like a requirement this time of year. Luckily, many years ago, we received our first sweet pumpkin from our CSA (community supported agriculture) and I had the opportunity to make a pie from scratch that was healthy and tasty. Over the years I have worked with the sweeteners to get a great pumpkin flavor with a low glycemic index. The same is true for the crust of the pumpkin pie, now using raw nuts in place of refined flours.
Pumpkin Pie Crust Ingredients:
- 1 ¼ cups raw walnuts or pecans
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 egg white
- Generous pinch of sea salt
Pumpkin Pie Crust Directions:
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Grind nuts in a food processor or blender until finely ground and just starting to clump together. Basically the beginning of nut butter.
- Mix nuts, almond flour, egg white, and salt together in a food processor.
- Press/pinch into a 9″ pie plate or an 8″ deep dish pie plate.
- Pierce the crust with a fork every ¼” or so the shell doesn’t bubble when it bakes.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes, until starting to turn golden brown.
- Let cool at least 10 minutes before adding pumpkin filling.
Pumpkin Pie Filling Ingredients:
- One small sweet pumpkin (to make about 1 ¾ cups pumpkin puree) or 15 oz BPA-free can of pumpkin puree
- 2/3 cups raw walnuts
- 1/3 cup raw or roasted unsalted cashews
- 3 eggs + 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F to cook pumpkin.
- Cut pumpkin in quarters. Remove seeds and fibers. Place pumpkin in ungreased baking dish. Add amount ¼-inch of water. Cover and bake until tender, 30-40 minutes.
- Cool pumpkin to touch and remove skins. Puree pumpkin in a food processor.
- Wrap pumpkin puree in several layers of cheesecloth and allow to hang for 1-2 hours until excess water is removed. To hang, tie cheesecloth around long utensil with weight of pumpkin puree at bottom; place utensil over bowl or pot to catch water.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F to cook pie.
- Place cashews and walnuts in your food processor or blender and pulse until finely ground. Add pumpkin puree, eggs, coconut sugar, and maple syrup and blend for 2-3 minutes until completely smooth. If the mixture is too thick add 1 T of water at a time to puree well.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and blend until combined.
- Pour into cooled pie shell. Spread the top out evenly.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until knife inserted into middle of pie comes out clean. Allow pie to cool completely before serving.
- Add whipped raw cream, if desired.
Cheapest, easiest, fastest weight loss trick – start using your salad plates.
Ok, so I know, the video says “bread plates” when I should have said “salad plates”. Honestly, I don’t own the fancy stuff that has more than two plates per setting so I think of them as bread plates. But, technically, I was informed that many servings come with quite a few different plate sizes and the ones that are approximately 8-inches are salad plates. Hopefully you get the idea. If you are confused, shoot me an email.
How do you know how much to eat without counting calories? Learn proper portion sizes.
Here’s the pdf document to help you better understand what to look for when filling your plate.