Fast Chocolate Oatmeal Cookie Drops
Sometimes I just want chocolate cookies and yes, I have a fabulous gluten-free chocolate chip cookie recipe that I can also make into a healthy oatmeal cookie recipe but it’s not a fast recipe. And, in truth, when I usually have a hankering for chocolate it’s kind of a “right now” moment, not an hour and a half from now. If you’re like me on this chocolate craving moment, here’s my solution . . . chocolate oatmeal drop cookies. They may not be as pretty as a traditional oatmeal chocolate chip cookie but they are quick and tasty.
All cravings may indicate a lack of nutrients (see more here) and ideally we want to deal with the root cause of any issues. And, sometimes we know why we are craving a food. For example, for me, recently there’s been the lead up to Spring Break at Disney World in Florida, the actual Spring Break, some family medical issues, and then my husband got the flu. All of this on top of regular work, my son’s orientations and meetings preparing for high school, planning summer activities . . . okay, regular mom-stuff . . . and by last night I was just tired – and grumpy – and wanting sweets. Probably no nutrient issue. Maybe a bit of dehydration and sleep deprivation but not a nutrient deficiency. I just wanted comfort foods. And sometimes that’s okay and we need to honor those desires.
So, enter my version of a healthy chocolate oatmeal cookie. Fast, easy, healthy and delicious. I nibbled on a couple and today the world looks much better to me. 😉 Figured I better share it.
Chocolate Oatmeal Cookie Drops
- ¼ cup milk or milk alternative
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup natural nut butter
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 1 ½ cups gluten free rolled oats
- ½ cup dried unsweetened shredded coconut
- ½ cup almond meal
- Mix milk, coconut oil, coconut sugar, nut butter, and cocoa powder in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir frequently until melted and well mixed.
- Remove from heat. Add vanilla.
- While sauce is melting, mix oats, coconut, and almond meal in a large bowl.
- Pour cocoa mixture over the dry mix and mix well with a fork until well combined.
- Form into loose balls with a tablespoon onto parchment paper. Refrigerate for 30-60 minutes until firm.