Halibut is a tender fish that you don’t want to over cook or it becomes chewy. With this recipe a quick sear and then finishing in the oven will give you a moist halibut with delicious flavor. The extra “sauce” in the pan is a wonderful finishing touch that will wilt the spinach enough to increase iron absorption.
- 1 lb fresh halibut
- 2 Tbs coconut oil
- Juice of one lemon
- Sea salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 cloves garlic
- Baby spinach leaves
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Peel and crush garlic cloves.
- Pat the halibut dry and cut into four pieces.
- Rub a little lemon juice on halibut, sprinkle with sea salt and fresh ground pepper.
- Heat coconut oil in large skillet until very hot but not smoking.
- Sear halibut, about a minute on each side.
- Add thyme and garlic cloves. Place skillet in oven for until halibut is cooked through, about four minutes.
- Add remaining lemon juice to pan and swirl to infuse flavors.
- Serve halibut on bed of baby spinach leaves. Drizzle pan dripping “sauce” over plate. If there isn’t enough sauce left, add a little olive oil and swirl around pan.