A reader asked me to supply a roasted pumpkin seeds recipe and I realized, although we make pumpkin seeds and squash seeds regularly, I’ve never made them the same way twice. I guess that’s the beauty of pumpkin seeds – there’s no right or wrong way to make them. So, here are my family’s two favorite ways – sweet and savory pumpkin seeds. Remember you can use seeds from any squash as well as pumpkin.
Pumpkin Seeds Ingredients:
- Seeds from pumpkin or squash
- 1 Tbs sea salt
- 2 cups filtered water
Pumpkin Seeds Sweet:
Pumpkin Seeds Savory:
- 2 Tbs coconut oil
- 1 tsp paprika or cumin
- 1/8 tsp garlic or onion powder
- 1/8 tsp cayenne
- Sea salt
Pumpkin Seeds Directions:
- Remove seeds from pulp, pulling most of the membrane off as possible. Rinse thoroughly.
- Dissolve 1 Tbs sea salt in water in bowl. Add pumpkin seeds and allow to sit overnight.
- Place in single layer on towel and roll to remove excess moisture.
- Place in dehydrator or low heat oven (160-170 degrees F) until most moisture is gone, anywhere from 20-40 minutes.
- Melt coconut oil and whisk together remaining ingredients. Taste for flavor preference.
- Toss seeds with mixture.
- Return to oven or dehydrator until seeds are crispy and golden brown, anywhere from 30-60 minutes