Learn the health benefits of coconut oil and the many uses for coconut oil as one of leading experts in all things coconut, Dr. Bruce Fife of the Coconut Research Center joins Kellie. There are an amazing number of coconut oil benefits and coconut oil uses. Increase your metabolism immediately by adding coconut oil to your diet. Learn about oil pulling, using coconut oil as a sun block, insect repellent and much more.
- 1 bunch curly kale
- 1 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Wash kale. Trim away stems. Coarsely chop the leaves. It should equal about 3 cups.
- If using coconut oil, melt.
- Toss with oil until evenly coated.
- Spread on a baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake for 20 minutes. They should look dried out and slightly browned when done.
You can also place in a dehydrator.
For additional flavor options try:
- powdered garlic
- powdered onion
- sesame seeds
- powdered cheese
- lemon juice
- chopped nuts
- nutritional/brewer’s yeast
- apple cider vinegar
- lime juice
- parmesan cheese
- curry powder
Watch step-by-step instructions for easy tuna patties that are great hot or cold. Learn to make a non-dairy “cheese” sauce for dipping, making “cheesy” rice, or to top the tuna patties. We’re using an ECOlunchbox to send it to school with the kids. Enter to win your own here, or use the coupon here.
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbs. chili paste (optional)
- 1-2 Tbs. coconut sugar
- 2 Tbs. minced fresh basil or cilantro
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 1 can BPA-free tuna, drained
- 2 Tbs. gluten free rolled oats
- 1 tsp. coconut oil
- Mix egg, chili paste if using, coconut sugar, sesame oil, and fresh herb.
- Add tuna and oats, mix until well combined.
- Form into four patties.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat.
- Add patties and cook until lightly browned, about 3 minutes per side.
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp. arrowroot
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- 1 ½ tsp. onion powder
- Pinch fine sea salt
- Pinch turmeric
- 1/3 cup milk alternative
- 1/3 cup vegetable broth
- ¼ tsp. prepared mustard
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- Combine all dry ingredients in a sauce pot. Mix well.
- Whisk in wet ingredients, mixing well.
- Heat on medium, stirring constantly until sauce thickens / approximately 5 minutes.
A fun change of pace from boring old sandwiches – breakfast for lunch. Step-by-step instructions for French Toast Sticks that sneak in a vegetable (we’ll never tell) and don’t require syrup.
- 1 loaf bread, sliced
- 2 cups milk alternative
- 6 eggs
- ½ cup pumpkin or squash puree
- Coconut oil or butter
- Coconut sugar
- Slice each piece of bread into “sticks”.
- Mix together milk, eggs, and puree. Blend until there are no lumps.
- Heat griddle or skillet to hot enough for a drop of water to jump.
- Add coconut oil or butter.
- Dip pieces of bread into batter to cover. Add place on heated grill or skillet.
- Sprinkle with coconut sugar and cinnamon.
- Cook each side until golden brown / approximately 2 minutes per side.
- Serve hot or cold.
- Coconut oil
- ¼ cup hoisin sauce
- 1 Tbs. coconut aminos
- 1 Tbs. rice vinegar
- 1 Tbs. sesame oil
- 1 lb top round, thinly sliced and cut into about 12 strips
- 8 scallions, cut into 3 inch long pieces
- 1 ½ cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup millet
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 lb asparagus
- Sea salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Heat grill. Fold four 18 inch long pieces of foil in half; unfold and using a paper towel wipe the inside of the foil with coconut oil.
- Mix together hoisin, aminos, vinegar, and oil in bowl to make marinade. Coat beef with marinade.
- Place a handful of scallions and carrots on the end of one strip of beef. The tips should hand over the edges of the meat. Roll beef up to encase vegetables and secure with a toothpick. Repeat with remaining beef, scallions, and carrots.
- Mix together millet and broth.
- Place ¼ cup millet mixture in the center of each piece of foil. Top with 3 beef rolls each.
- Add ¼ of the asparagus next to the beef rolls.
- Fold foil to close and crimp to seal. Place on grill, close lid, and cook until packets are puffed / about 10 minutes.
- Carefully cut foil to open. Can be served in foil packet.