I know, Taco Meatball Soup is a weird name, but in truth, I really don’t know what else to call this hearty soup recipes. It’s got all the delicious ingredients of tacos but with fun bite sized meatballs in a soup! Everyone’s happy!
If you’re in a hurry you can even just use ground beef and skip the meatballs . . . although truthful, it’s just not as much fun that way. It’s really worth the extra time to make the meatballs. Then just saute a few items, bring to a boil, let it cook for 20 minutes, and serve. It’s hearty soups made healthy soups and fun along the way.
Healthy Soups – Hearty Soups
I have to be honest, I eat soup year round. I love it! It’s a staple of my life. But, I realize as the weather turns toward the cooler seasons more people begin to think of soups. In case you want to expand your healthy soups recipes, try Curried Winter Squash Soup, Salmon Chowder, or find lots of healthy soups recipes in my Cleanse and Detoxify Your Body: 28 days to better healthy using nutrient dense whole foods book and program.
One secret for Taco Meatball Soup
This recipe is super easy and you can add or subtract ingredients depending on what you have leftover in the refrigerator or freezer. Just like I do with tacos. You can make your own tortilla chips or buy a bag. You can make make your own salsa or buy a jar. Whatever works for your busy life.
I know I said in the beginning you could skip the meatballs, and yes you can. But, the one secret that really makes this healthy soup stand out, is the meatballs. Remember to use the best grass fed beef you can afford; the health advantages are numerous.
But, since they’re going to be in the soup (and not highlighted like in spaghetti) they don’t have to be perfectly sized. Make them small, no more than an inch in diameter. Then you only partially cook them – just enough so they hold their shape – and finish them in the soup. It makes for a much faster dinner. Plus the little bite sized meatballs are perfect on a tortilla chip or in a spoon. You don’t want people to have to cut the meatballs . . . this is a hearty soup recipe, but not that hearty!
Taco Meatball Soup Recipe
- ½ cup uncooked rice, divided
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3 T fresh parsley, chopped
- ½ t chili powder
- ½ t dried oregano
- ¼ t sea salt
- ¼ t fresh ground black pepper
- 1 T ghee
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- ½ cup celery, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced or pressed
- 2/3 cup bottled salsa
- 2 14-ounce cans of chicken broth
- ½ cup frozen whole kernel corn
- 2 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 20 tortilla chips
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Chop onion and mince garlic. Allow to rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Combine ¼ cup rice, ground beef, and spices (through pepper) in a bowl. Shape mixture into 24 1-inch meatballs.
- Place on a broiler pan and bake for 10 minutes.
- Heat ghee in a large pot over medium high heat. Add onion, celery and carrot. Sauté 4 minutes or until tender.
- Add garlic and sauté for another minute.
- Add salsa and broth; bring to a boil.
- Add remaining ¼ cup rice and the meatballs. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until the rice is tender and meatballs are fully cooked.
- Stir in corn and cook another minute or until heated through.
- Spoon into bowls. Sprinkle with cheese and tortilla strips.