Healthy Foods Made Easy
Wonderful healthy foods, like leafy greens, grow year round in most places. As the winter weather chills leafy greens such as Swiss Chard, kale, spinach, escarole, beet greens, mustard greens, and collard greens – they are actually at their peak. The sweetest leaves are produced in the fall and winter which makes the perfect time for a salad.
Swiss Chard for Salad
I love using Swiss Chard for a salad. This healthy food is never eaten enough in my opinion. It is very similar to spinach but a bit heartier. This makes a great sensation for a fall/winter salad (although I eat this salad any time of the year). After massaging the Swiss Chard allow it to sit for 10-15 minutes to become a bit more tender. I’d love to know what you think!
Swiss Chard Salad with Apple
- 1 bunch rainbow Swiss chard
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- Zest of ½ lemon
- sea salt
- fresh ground black or white pepper
- 1 red apple
- 8 dried Turkish apricots
- ¼ cup pecans or nut of choice (optional)
- Chop the Swiss chard. Remove ribs to decrease bitter flavor or chop very thinly.
- Wash the Swiss chard very well and spin dry.
- Whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, lemon zest, sea salt, and pepper. Pour over Swiss chard; massage for about 15 seconds.
- Core and chop apple. Chop dried apricots. Coarsely chop nuts.
- Add all remaining ingredients and toss lightly to combine.