Yes, it’s the time of year when I love to put foods in the slow cooker. Not only does it make my evening easier, the house spells warm, homey, and inviting when we walk through the door. I love knowing my family is eating a healthy nutritious meal -thanks to the slow cooker.
My husband was having a comfort food craving – sloppy joes. Truthfully, this was a food I was unfamiliar with, besides from watching commercials for a canned product when I was a kid. Sloppy Joes were too meat intensive for my family’s budget. But, I love a challenge and I figured the slow cooker was going to be the answer.
If you’re cutting starch carbs don’t feel like slow cooker Sloppy Joes is off limits. The picture here is Sloppy Joes the way my husband remembered them, although the bun is a bit healthier. You could also make thick sweet potato chips to use in place of the bun. Or, put the sloppy joe mix on a nice pile of leafy greens (like I did) and sloppy joes make a great salad.
We all loved slow cooker Sloppy Joes in our own way. We all loved the comforting aroma. I loved the convenience. My husband loved “being a kid again”.
If you want to try using your slow cooker more, here’s some other great recipes and videos:
Sloppy Joes / Slow Cooker
- 1 pound grass fed ground beef
- 1 pepper, diced
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 8 oz jar tomato sauce
- 1 6 oz jar tomato paste
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp red chili flakes
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp dried basil leaves
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 ½ tsp ground mustard
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp smoked sea salt or regular sea salt
- 1 tsp maple syrup (optional)
- 1 tsp sambal oelek (optional)
- Brown ground beef in a skillet over medium high heat. Place in slow cooker.
- Add remaining ingredients to slow cooker.
- Stir, cover, and cook on low for 2-4 hours.
- Serve. Serving suggestions: plain, on mixed greens, on sandwich bread, in a pita, in a wrap, mixed in pasta, between sweet potato chips.