The benefit of using a slow cooker is you can toss in the ingredients and go . . . dinner is ready when you return home. This video includes easy instructions for your next family favorite meal. Includes health information about chicken pieces with skin and bones versus skinless boneless chicken. Enjoy nutritious foods with very little work!
- 2 large onions
- 3 lbs chicken parts
- 6 bacon slices
- 2 cups mushrooms
- ½ cup celery (optional)
- 1 ½ cups warm water
- 2 tsp organic Better Than Bouillon
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp white pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp parsley flakes
- ¼ tsp ground thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- Juice from jar of mushrooms (optional)
- Coarsely chop onions and allow to sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Cook bacon until crisp, pat with paper towel and crumble.
- Slice mushrooms. Thinly slice celery.
- Place onions in a 5 quart slow cooker. Arrange chicken pieces on top. Add bacon, mushrooms, and celery if using.
- Whisk together warm water and Better Than Bouillon until dissolved. Add salt, pepper, garlic, parsley, thyme, and bay leaf. Stir together and pour over chicken.
- Whisk together vegetable stock, apple cider vinegar, and mushroom juice if using. Pour over chicken.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 4-6 hours.
- Discard bay leaf before serving.
Helpful Hint: To make a gravy, remove chicken and vegetables. Scoop one cup of liquid from slow cooker and add 1 Tbs of arrowroot. Whisk together until smooth. Add back into liquid in slow cooker and whisk until thickened.