Summer can mean lots of fresh salads. But you don’t have to get stuck in a rut or spend lots of time in the kitchen. Use a great salad mix as the base and let your imagination run wild. In this mix I added to the salad a bit of arugula to give a nutty, spicy flavor. Then added marinaded red onion and grated raw beets to the top. Small beets are great peeled and grated raw to top a salad. Or roast, cool, and dice them for a very flavorful salad treat. Just have fun with the beautiful summer bounty that will make fabulous summer salads.
- Mixed greens – anything you like, try at least 4-5 difference greens
- 2 small beets
- 1/2 red onion
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup hot water
- other vegetables available (optional)
- sunflower seeds (optional)
- 1/4 cup plain coconut yogurt
- 1 Tbs Dijon mustard
- 2 drops liquid stevia
- sea salt & pepper to taste
- Slice the red onion and allow to sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Mix all salad dressing ingredients together. Set aside.
- Mix vinegar and water together, add onion to soak.
- Wash and dry salad greens. Tear apart any big leaves.
- Peel and grate beets. Chop or grate any other desired vegetables.
- Add dressing to greens and mix with hands to ensure good distribution of the salad dressing.
- Place greens on plate and top with beets (other vegetables), sunflower seeds if using, and red onions. Serve salad immediately. Enjoy.