I’m trying to offer this recipe in a form that you can make traditionally as well as quickly, for those who can’t make the time to soak and cook beans. The best health properties come from properly preparing the beans and roasting the red peppers. But, in a pinch you can use a can and jar to whip this up in less than 10 minutes. It will cost much less than premade versions, and tastes fantastic! Add a few sliced veggies and you have a wonderful snack. Enjoy.
Red Pepper Hummus Ingredients:
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 cups soaked, cooked garbanzo beans or 1 15 oz can garbanzo beans
- 2 roasted red peppers
- 2 Tbs lemon juice
- 1 ½ Tbs tahini
- ¾ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp paprika, preferable smoked
- 10 kalamata olives
- Extra virgin olive oil
Directions For Red Pepper Hummus:
- Properly soak garbanzo beans and cook or use canned.
- Roast red peppers or use jarred.
- Drain and reserve liquid from garbanzo beans if using canned. Rinse.
- Mince garlic in food processor.
- Add beans, 2 Tbs reserved liquid or extra virgin olive oil, and remaining ingredients. Process until smooth, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Add additional seasonings and liquid to taste.
- Classic Hummus (thecooksnextdoor.com)
- Make Your Own Hummus!!! (whatjothinks.wordpress.com)