What I love about this recipe is it can be a very fast soup by using jarred red peppers and artichokes as well as canned chickpeas. Or you can get a richer flavor, that’s much easier on your wallet, by roasting your own peppers, cooking dried chickpeas, and steaming fresh artichokes to create this soup. Make a big batch and freeze for use later because you will love the tastes that dance on your tongue when you eat this soup.
- 1 ½ cups vegetable stock
- ½ cup canned coconut milk
- ½ cup almond milk
- ½ cup chopped onions
- 1 Tbs coconut oil
- 3 roasted garlic cloves
- 15 oz can chickpeas (or cooked chickpeas)
- 15 oz jar artichokes (or cooked artichokes)
- 1 cup chopped roasted red peppers
- ¼ cup chopped parsley leaves
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt
- White pepper
- Pinch of cayenne (optional)
- Smoked paprika (optional)
- Cooked cubed chicken, tempeh, or shrimp (optional)
- Sauté onions in coconut oil.
- Rinse and drain chickpeas if using canned. Rinse and drain artichokes if using jarred.
- Place stock, milks, onions, garlic, ½ of the chickpeas, and ½ of the artichokes in a food process or blender. Blend until smooth.
- Add remaining chickpeas, artichokes, peppers, parsley, and olive oil. Pulse until these items are chopped well.
- Add protein source if desired. Add additional seasonings to taste.
- Pour into soup pot and warm to desired level. Serve hot.