It just wouldn’t be fall and the holidays without pumpkin pie on the table. It feels almost like a requirement this time of year. Luckily, many years ago, we received our first sweet pumpkin from our CSA (community supported agriculture) and I had the opportunity to make a pie from scratch that was healthy and tasty. Over the years I have worked with the sweeteners to get a great pumpkin flavor with a low glycemic index. The same is true for the crust of the pumpkin pie, now using raw nuts in place of refined flours.
Pumpkin Pie Crust Ingredients:
- 1 ¼ cups raw walnuts or pecans
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 egg white
- Generous pinch of sea salt
Pumpkin Pie Crust Directions:
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Grind nuts in a food processor or blender until finely ground and just starting to clump together. Basically the beginning of nut butter.
- Mix nuts, almond flour, egg white, and salt together in a food processor.
- Press/pinch into a 9″ pie plate or an 8″ deep dish pie plate.
- Pierce the crust with a fork every ¼” or so the shell doesn’t bubble when it bakes.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes, until starting to turn golden brown.
- Let cool at least 10 minutes before adding pumpkin filling.
Pumpkin Pie Filling Ingredients:
- One small sweet pumpkin (to make about 1 ¾ cups pumpkin puree) or 15 oz BPA-free can of pumpkin puree
- 2/3 cups raw walnuts
- 1/3 cup raw or roasted unsalted cashews
- 3 eggs + 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F to cook pumpkin.
- Cut pumpkin in quarters. Remove seeds and fibers. Place pumpkin in ungreased baking dish. Add amount ¼-inch of water. Cover and bake until tender, 30-40 minutes.
- Cool pumpkin to touch and remove skins. Puree pumpkin in a food processor.
- Wrap pumpkin puree in several layers of cheesecloth and allow to hang for 1-2 hours until excess water is removed. To hang, tie cheesecloth around long utensil with weight of pumpkin puree at bottom; place utensil over bowl or pot to catch water.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F to cook pie.
- Place cashews and walnuts in your food processor or blender and pulse until finely ground. Add pumpkin puree, eggs, coconut sugar, and maple syrup and blend for 2-3 minutes until completely smooth. If the mixture is too thick add 1 T of water at a time to puree well.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and blend until combined.
- Pour into cooled pie shell. Spread the top out evenly.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until knife inserted into middle of pie comes out clean. Allow pie to cool completely before serving.
- Add whipped raw cream, if desired.