Simple Healthy Meal
I know . . . the rise of pumpkin occurred a few months ago when there was pumpkin everything!
But, 1. we still had pumpkins left over from the holidays and 2. I needed warming comfort food because of the dank cold weather.
So, I started playing with one of my favorite foods, Thai and the leftover pumpkin. I wanted a healthy meal I could make fast.
Healthy Make Ahead (or use leftovers!)
At first glance this pumpkin curry recipe doesn’t look so simple but it’s really all about making ahead or using leftovers.
First, roast the pumpkin on a stay-at-home day, portion and freeze. It’ll make your space smell wonderful and you’ll have the ingredients when you need them.
Second, bake the chicken ahead to really speed up this pumpkin curry recipe.
Third, steam the rice ahead and have it ready to go in the refrigerator. If you choose this method just add another tablespoon of oil and the rice to the wok for a quick reheat.
Pumpkin Curry Recipe
- 1 small pumpkin
- 2 shallots
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 red pepper
- 1 Tablespoon red curry paste
- 1 can unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 Tablespoons fish sauce
- Juice of one lime
- 3-6 drops stevia or 2 teaspoons honey
- 3 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 pound chicken thighs, cubed
- 2 Tablespoons fresh basil (garnish)
- Steamed rice or vegetables
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F to cook pumpkin.
- Cut pumpkin in quarters. Remove seeds and fibers. Place pumpkin in ungreased baking dish. Add amount ¼-inch of water. Cover and bake until almost tender, about 30 minutes.
- Cool pumpkin to touch and remove skins. Chop into cubes.
- Chop shallots, garlic, red pepper and basil. Allow to sit for 5-10 minutes.
- In a blender or food processor combine shallots, garlic, curry paste and 2 Tablespoons water. Process until smooth.
- Heat a large fry pan or wok over medium heat. Add 2 Tablespoons oil and chicken cubes. Sauté until light brown on all sides, approximately 5-7 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Add remaining tablespoon of oil. Add curry mixture and cook until fragrant, less than 30 seconds.
- Stir in the coconut milk, fish sauce, lime juice and sweetener. Bring to a boil.
- Add the chicken, pumpkin and red pepper. Reduce heat to low and simmer until pumpkin is tender when pierced with a fork and chicken is fully cooked, about 5 minutes.
- Serve over steamed rice or vegetables. Top with basil.