Poaching isn’t reserved for eggs. Dried fruit can make a tasty compote or jam by using the poaching liquids.
This easy to follow recipe can be placed in decorative jars to make a wonderful gift.
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 3 cups water
- 1 ¼ cup dried apricots
- 1 ¼ cup dried plums
- 1 tsp. crushed star anise (optional)
- 1 vanilla bean
- 2 chai tea bags
- Crusty bread (optional)
- Raw yogurt (optional)
- Quarter apricots and crush star anise.
- Combine coconut sugar and water in a 3 or 4 quart saucepan.
- Halve vanilla bean lengthwise with a paring knife and scrape seeds into pan, then add pod. Bring mixture to a boil if necessary, stirring occasionally until sugar is dissolved.
- Add plums and anise.
- Add apricots and tea bags and return to a simmer. Cook fruit, gently stirring once or twice, 8-10 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Allow tea bags to steep with fruit in syrup 15 minutes (fruit will continue to soften as it steeps), then remove bags, gently squeezing liquid from them into syrup.
- Transfer compote to a bowl or jar and cool. Use to top bread or yogurt. If more “jam-like” quality is desired, remove vanilla pod and puree in food processor or blender.