Pineapple Upside-down Cake
One of my son’s favorite treats is Pineapple Upside-down Cake. Partly because he loves white cake, partly because he loves pineapple, and partly because it’s sweet. Unfortunately for him, we don’t eat a lot of cake, we don’t cook with a lot of sugar, and our household is mostly gluten free. So, at his request, I’ve been working on a gluten free pineapple upside-down cake.
Gluten Free Cake Information
There are many great gluten free baking mixes available. Although they work great, they can be expensive. Listen to my show Eat Well to Live Well with Kellie Hill when Shauna Ahern, the Gluten Free Girl, explained how to make your own gluten free mix very economically during the Entertaining Guests with Dietary Restrictions episode.
Gluten Free Pineapple Upside Down Cake Ingredients:
- ¼ cup butter, grass fed, organic
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar, ground fine
- 9 slices pineapple
- 2 eggs, separated, organic
- 2 Tbs. butter, softened
- 1 cup gluten free baking mix
- ½ cup coconut sugar, ground fine
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- ¼ tsp. vanilla
- 1/8 tsp. almond extract (optional)
Gluten Free Pineapple Upside Down Cake Directions:
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Melt ¼ cup butter in an 8×8 baking pan over low heat.
- Sprinkle 1/3 cup coconut sugar over the butter.
- Add pineapple slices side by side, without overlapping.
- Whip egg whites until stiff.
- Cream remaining butter, mix, and coconut sugar. Blend 1 minute on medium.
- Add 2 tablespoons of milk, vanilla, and almond extract if using. Mix for 1 minute.
- Add remaining milk and egg yolks. Mix for 2 minutes.
- Fold in egg whites.
- Spoon evenly into pan over the pineapple slices.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until the cake springs back to the touch.
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes. Carefully invert onto plate. Soon any remaining syrup from the pan over the cake.