As summer begins to wane I’m overloaded with peaches. Yes, we’ve already canned some for use later in the winter but those fresh tasty peaches are just screaming to be eaten.
In our family, yogurt topped with any fruit is wonderful but during this time of year nothing beats fresh peaches. Unfortunately combining yogurt and peaches is just too much sweet for me, so adding a bit of fresh basil makes a late summer treat you’ve probably never thought about.
Peaches and Yogurt with Basil Recipe
There isn’t really a recipe here, just top yogurt with peaches and basil or layer in a clear glass for a wonderful presentation. But, here are a few tips for you:
1. Use any plain unsweetened yogurt you enjoy. Obviously raw, homemade yogurt I think is the best. There is also coconut milk yogurt for those that are dairy intolerant (I think the flavor and consistency is better with coconut milk rather than almond milk).
2. If you are making the transition away from sugar and plain yogurt is still too bitter, add a touch of raw honey or stevia and stir well.
3. Wash some of the “fuzz” off the peach, but don’t peel. Slice the peach and remove the peach pit. Then dice the peach into small pieces. This really helps get the best flavor into each bite.
4. Wash and dry a few basil leaves. Place them one one top of the other. Starting at the longest side, roll. Slice the roll to make small ribbons of basil or slice both directions to chop without bruising.
5. Place yogurt in bowl, top with peaches and basil.
You will have a snack or breakfast using fresh ingredients in just a few minutes. Enjoy those peaches because they won’t be here for long.