Please, snicker like an 11-year old, we all do. Yes, today’s recipe is for nut balls. They are appropriately named, by my son – who still laughs with glee at the name. Heck, how often can you get kids interested in healthy food enough that they want to share recipes with all their friends. This is that recipe. Nut balls are sweet and tasty so everyone always enjoys them. And, the kids laugh alot. It’s a win-win in my family. Hope it is in yours too.
Nut Ball Notes:
You can use any nuts you have on hand. This time I mixed walnuts with filberts to use up the last of both. There are a couple secrets though. First, if you use a sweeter nut, like a cashew, then you want to use more or decrease the dates – otherwise the sweetness is a bit overwhelming. Second, if you use a mixture of soft and hard nuts (like I did), place the harder nuts (filberts) in the food processor and pulse until slightly chopped up before you add the other ingredients. This will make sure you don’t end up with a large chunk of nut in the ball.
If you don’t have a lemon zester cut thin strips of the lemon peel and mince or put in the food processor and pulse. Again, you don’t want a big chunk of lemon rind in the nut ball.
This recipe can be made in a blender, just be cautious to pulse the blender so you don’t end up with a giant nut ball.
I like finely shredded coconut as the coating, but you can also use very finely ground nuts.
Nut Ball Ingredients:
- 1 cup raw nuts of choice
- ½ cup soft dates
- 1 ½ Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ½ Tbsp fresh lemon zest
- Pinch of fine sea salt
- 1 scoop protein powder (optional)
- 2 Tbsp. fine grated coconut or finely chopped nuts
Nut Ball Directions:
- Remove seeds from dates.
- Place all ingredients except coconut in a food processor. Combine until well mixed and beginning to stick together.
- Place coconut on a small plate.
- Scoop out about 1 Tbsp. of the mixture, form into a ball and roll in the coconut to coat the outside
- Place on parchment paper lined baking pan. Refrigerator for 30 minutes.
Makes approximately 15