Some days I’m in a rush and I need a quick, easy meal that’s also healthy. Mexican food is definitely my go-to on these days. Fajitas are fast, burritos are fast, but my family wanted something different. Well, this was the winner. Between my son and husband, they named it Mexican Skillet Fiesta – and loved it! So has everyone else who’s tried it. And I love that it’s so fast!
Mexican Skillet Fiesta Ingredients:
- 1 pound grass-fed ground beef
- 1/3 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped chili pepper or can diced chilies
- 1/3 cup chopped red pepper
- ½ cup diced onion
- 2 cups salsa
- ¾ cup frozen organic corn
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp smoked paprika or regular paprika
- ½ tsp garlic salt
- 6 organic corn tortillas
- ¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 5 Tbs. sour cream (optional)
- Sliced avocados (optional)
Mexican Skillet Fiesta Directions:
- Dice onions and let rest for 5 minutes.
- In a large skillet, cook beef, peppers and onions over medium heat until the meat is mostly cooked but still a little pink.
- While meat is cooking, cut tortillas into ½ inch strips.
- Stir in the salsa, corn, and seasonings.
- Bring to a boil. Add 2 tablespoons water if there is no liquid in the skillet. Stir in tortilla strips. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Tortilla strips should be softened before next step.
- Stir. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover and cook 2-3 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
- Serve with sour cream and avocado slices, if desired.