Since this week we were discussing food freedom on my show Eat Well to Live Well with Kellie Hill I thought I’d use a bunch of ingredients from my local farms. This was perfect timing as I picked up my half of a grass-fed pastured beef this week – great for meatloaf. To learn more about the importance of non-factory farmed meat read this guest blog. This year my beef was a little later in order to get the best Omega-3 fatty acid content – real farmers who care about their livestock as well as their customer’s health guarantee that type of optimal food. Buying local really does make a difference and we would taste that difference in this amazing twist on traditional meatloaf.
Meatloaf With A Touch of Mexico
To spice this meatloaf up I like using a variety of roasted peppers. If you haven’t tried roasting your own peppers, step by step instructions are here. If you need, you can use jarred peppers or chilis. You can even use fresh, just mince them really small. The fun thing is that depending on what you have available you’ll end up with a different flavor every time! I love that about cooking things like meatloaf.
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 medium onion
- 1 ½ lb grass-fed ground beef
- 1 egg or 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- ½ coconut milk
- 2 cups spinach or Swiss Chard
- ½ cup brown rice flour or ¾ cup oats
- 5 medium fire roasted peppers
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- ¼ teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¾ cup black olives, sliced
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- Place garlic and onions in food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Allow to rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place all ingredients, except olives and cheese in food processor and blend until well combined or place in bowl and well mix by hand.
- Stir in olives.
- Place mixture in bread pan or 8 x 8 square pan.
- Cook for 1 hour 15-25 minutes until cooked through.
- Sprinkle cheese on top of mixture and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to sit for 5-10 minutes to set up.