Massaged or rubbed Kale Salads, like Kale chips, have been all the rage the last couple years. And for very good reasons. This is a delicious way to enjoy kale – both sweet and savory. Plus, you don’t have to turn on your stove or oven if you don’t want. Kale and Fruit Salad can use any fresh fruits and vegetables you have available. This is just a basic recipe so play around with extra salad additions and you’ll make a new one every time! Really any vegetable is great – try thinly sliced onions, grated carrots, grated raw beets, grated zuchinni, radishes, etc. Same with fruit, the sweet taste of fruit pairs beautifully with kale so choose whatever is fresh and available locally, to save money. This can even be a full meal by adding leftover chicken for a quick dinner. Think of your kale salad like a blank canvas and be creative.
Kale and Fruit Salad Ingredients:
- Yellow beet (optional)
- Tbs of coconut oil
- Head of kale (any variety is fine, but I like Italian best)
- Juice of one lemon
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher sea salt
- Raw, local honey
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Fruit of choice (any is fine, but I like strawberries)
- Additional vegetables of choice (optional)
- 2 Tbs – ¼ cup chopped almonds
Kale and Fruit Salad Directions:
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees if using beets.
- Using gloves, wash, peel and chop yellow beet into ½ inch cubes.
- Place beet cubes in a small dish, add tablespoon of coconut oil and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir beets to ensure coated in coconut oil. Continue cooking until just soft when speared with a fork, about another 10-15 mins. Allow to cool.
- De-stem kale, chop, rinse, and dry well.
- Place kale in a bowl and toss with about 1/3 of the lemon juice, a drizzling of olive oil and sea salt.
- Massage kale for a few minutes until it starts to wilt. Set aside.
- Wash, dry and slice fruit. Thinly slice or grate any additional vegetables.
- Add vegetables to kale.
- Make a dressing of remaining lemon juice, olive oil, honey, sea salt and pepper to taste. Whisk well to emulsify.
- Toss kale/vegetables with dressing and top with fruit, beets, and chopped almonds.