Gravy doesn’t have to be completely forgotten during your holidays. It just needs to be healthy while still tasty and delicious. Step-by-step directions on making gravy using wild mushrooms that can be used on many different dishes from poultry to steak, or as a basis for a soup.
- 2 cups stock
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 2 springs fresh thyme
- 4-6 tablespoons ghee
- ¾ lb wild mushrooms (oysters, porcini, shiitake, etc.)
- 1 large yellow onion
- Peel and thinly slice onion. Allow to sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Coarsely chop mushrooms.
- Bring stock, wine, and thyme to a boil. Simmer and reduce to ½ or ¾ the starting amount.
- Melt two tablespoons ghee in a skillet over medium heat. When ghee is frothy, but not browned, add onions and cook until fragrant and the edges begin to caramelize.
- Remove onions. If needed melt additional two tablespoons of ghee and add mushrooms. Cook until fragrant and brown. Remove mushrooms.
- Once stock and wine is reduced, remove and discard thyme sprigs. Whisk in two tablespoons ghee and simmer for 1-2 minutes. Stir in onions and mushrooms.