As I wrote last week, I was challenged to make two staples for children while accommodating the parent’s new food allergies. Macaroni and cheese was the first, gluten free pizza was the second. Oh, plus it needed to be dairy free and nut free.
I have videos about making your own gluten free pizza crust and sauce. But, this needed to be different for a number of reasons. So, I offer anothe gluten free pizza recipe and an interesting take on toppings.
Gluten Free Pizza For The Whole Family
Gluten Free Pizza Dough – Freezing Note:
We ended up making big batches of the the gluten free pizza dough to use for later. This dough can be prepared and frozen. After forming the ball cover loosely with plastic wrap. Do not let rise. Store for up to three months. When ready to use, remove plastic, place on lightly floured surface, cover with a clean towel, and allow to defrost for one hour before shaping into pizza.
Gluten Free Pizza Dough Ingredients
- 1 Tbs. ground flax seeds
- 2 Tbs. boiling water
- 4 tsp active dry yeast
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup warm water, approx. 110 degrees
- 4 cups gluten free baking mix
- 1 ½ tsp fine sea salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder (optional)
- ½ tsp onion powder (optional)
- ½ tsp dried oregano (optional)
- ½ tsp dried basil (optional)
- 1-2 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
Gluten Free Pizza Dough Directions
- Add boiling water to seeds. Whisk to a thick paste and set aside to cool.
- In a bowl, gently stir together the yeast, oil, and water. Allow to sit 5 minutes to activate the yeast.
- In a mixer combine gluten-free baking mix and seasonings. Mix well to combine. Add seed mixture and stir. Add yeast mixture and stir.
- Mix on medium until dough is a soft ball. It should feel soft and pliable. Add more warm water, a little at a time, to get proper consistency. Cover and set in a warm place to rise for an hour.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Sprinkle a baking sheet or pizza pan with gluten free cornmeal.
- Separate the dough into individual balls. Put dough between sheets of parchment paper and roll out. Leave a rim around the outside edge. Once flattened, poke holes around the dough using a fork.
- Brush top with extra virgin olive oil. Bake for 8-12 minutes until just turning brown.
- Add sauce and toppings. Bake until toppings are cooked through.
Makes 2 8″ crusts