For the last week playing on my mind has been the difference between excellent and perfect. I wonder how much time we all spend trying to be perfect when being excellent is really good enough. I tell my individual clients to strive for an 80/20 balance. Meaning 80% of the time they make the best choices leaving 20% of the time for those special occasions or splurges. That 80% isn’t perfect but it’s definitely excellent. And excellent gets results without the deprivation that perfection would require.
I know that I’ve been guilty of striving for perfection and losing track of excellence. Perhaps it’s my age, but the cost of perfection is too high. This was fully evident to me a couple weekends ago. A friend was in town and we gathered at a local bar. It was fun to visit with old friends, eat a few hot wings, dance, drink, and be merry. I may have even gone a little over my 20% that night. But the fun of meeting new people, trying new things, and being open to new experiences is most definitely excellence. And maybe that’s where happiness really comes from -giving ourselves a break.
So, with this new theory in mind, I step forward with a new vision. To to work with the same 80/20 balance rule. It’s worked this far for nutrition, I’m going to trust it’ll work in life as well. So bear with me as I’m sure you’ll see more mistakes as you see more of me. But either way it’ll definitely be a new experience.