Eggs Mornay is a wonderful cheesy dish usually made with a rich sauce. Weekend mornings it might be a great splurge, but most days we need something quicker and healthier. Here’s a better version that is scrumptious, not boring or bland. Add a few asparagus spears during the broil and you have a fantastic meal in minutes.
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon dried basil
- 2 medium ripe tomatoes, peeled, chopped
- 2 slices of Swiss cheese (totaling 2 ounces cheese)
- Crush garlic and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- Preheat broiler. Bring water to boil for eggs.
- Cook the garlic and basil in the oil for a minute or two.
- Add the tomatoes and cook just until heated through.
- In the meantime, soft boil the eggs by cooking them in boiling water for 6 minutes.
- Run eggs under cold water and peel carefully.
- Wrap each egg in a slice of cheese.
- Divide the tomatoes into two shallow baking dishes.
- Arrange an egg in the center of each dish.
- Broil about 2-4 minutes, until the cheese is melted and slightly brown.