Healthy Dinner Recipes Made Easy
As a busy, working mom I am always working on easy dinner recipes but they have to be healthy dinner recipes. It doesn’t work for me to open a box of this processed food and a can of that processed food and call it healthy dinner recipes.
I’m not judging busy moms who choose this method . . . it just wouldn’t be very authentic for a whole foods diet specialist to be making easy dinner recipes using processed foods.
So, as you know, I love my slow cooker recipes for easy dinner recipes. But, the one thing that I don’t like is that when the food cooks all day it often loses the beautiful colors that whole foods provide. The speed, taste and convenience are there but everything has a tendency to be a bit drab looking.
Easy Dinner Recipes in Under 30 Minutes
I’ve been playing with my slow cooker to see what it can do on high in a short amount of time. Another amazing feature of slow cooker recipes is they really can be fast, easy, and healthy!
BBQ is one of the family favorites but making homemade bar-b-que sauce takes a bit of time. Not with this quick easy dinner recipes! It cooks all in one pot in less than 30 minutes. Pictured here is just the chicken thigh with the sauce over the top. But, we found this was great over rice or noodles and served with mashed potatoes, squash, or cauliflower.
Next we “pulled” the chicken using two forks so it was shredded and mixed the bar-b-que sauce into the chicken. This was fabulous as a sandwich, in lettuce wraps and made great leftovers.
I couldn’t believe how what an easy dinner recipes were created using the slow cooker. This healthy dinner recipes can fit into any diet imaginable!
Slow Cooker Recipes – BBQ Chicken
- 1 small sweet onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 tsp adobo chili with paste, pureed
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless, chicken thighs
- Chop onion and press garlic. Allow to sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Puree adobo chili and paste.
- In a bowl, whisk together garlic, chili, ketchup, tomato paste, vinegar, mustard, Worcestershire, sugar, paprika, salt, and pepper until well blended.
- Layer the onions on the bottom of the slow cooker. Place chicken thighs on onions. Pour sauce evenly over the thighs. Cover and cook on high for about 2 hours, or on low for about 4 hours, or until chicken is cooked through.