Can you tell what I’ve been craving lately . . . Asian food. Luckily, there are so many great foods that pair well with basic Asian seasonings. This coleslaw recipe doesn’t use any fancy ingredients but everyone loves the taste. If you have a food processor that shreds this coleslaw is ready in just minutes.
- 1 T sesame seeds
- 1/2 large head of green cabbage
- 1/4 head red cabbage (optional)
- 2 carrots
- 3-4 green onions
- 3 T rice vinegar
- 2 T toasted sesame oil
- 1 T fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tsp peanut oil (optional)
- 1 tsp coconut sugar
- sea salt
- fresh ground black or white pepper
- To toast sesame seeds, place in a small dry skillet over medium heat. Stir constantly until they are a light golden color and fragrant, about 3 minutes. Set aside.
- Thinly slice or shred cabbage. Grate carrots. Slice green onions. Combine in a large bowl.
- Mix remaining ingredients, except sesame seeds. Add to bowl and toss to blend.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- When ready to serve, sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.
Coleslaw Make Ahead Tip
This salad can be made about 2 hours in advance so the flavors blend. Follow steps 1-3, cover and refrigerate. Before serving, toss, season with salt and pepper, and sprinkle with sesame seeds.