Coconut Cream For Coconut Custard:
Coconut cream has a slightly higher fat content than coconut milk. But, it has a smooth, silky consistency that adds great flavor to dishes such as curry and desserts. The saturated fat in coconut cream is actually healthy good fat that your body can easily metabolize and turn into energy fast, without raising your blood cholesterol level and adding pounds to your weight. The principal saturated fat, or fatty acid, in coconut cream is lauric acid. This is the same type of saturated fat found in abundance in human breast milk.
Don’t confuse coconut cream or coconut milk with cream of coconut. Cream of coconut is coconut cream with sugar added and is very sweet. It is often used in beverages and desserts.
Ingredients for Coconut Custard:
- 1/3 cup coconut flakes
- 7 oz coconut cream
- 1 can coconut milk
- 4 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup coconut sugar
Coconut Custard Directions:
- Place coconut into large frying pan. Cook for approximately 1-2 minutes over medium heat, until toasted. Remove from heat and place in a small bowl.
- Combine coconut cream and coconut milk in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer, over low heat.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, egg yolks, and sugar.
- Add egg mixture to milk and cream mixture, whisking constantly until combined.
- Pour evenly into six ¾ cup heatproof ramekins.
- Cook the custard in a steamer for 25-30 minutes or until custard is just set.
- Top custards with toasted coconut and serve.
- Coconut whipped cream (getyourvegon.com)
- Coconut in Many Forms (Water, Meat & Sugar) – Still Healthy (therightplan.com)