This recipe was created when I had a bunch of leftovers I was trying to use up. Don’t feel like you have to use all or just these ingredients. Other suggestions would be sun-dried tomatoes, turkey bacon, feta cheese . . . just use the basic recipe and have fun. What I really love is that this recipe looks fancy but is ready in about 40 minutes.
Chicken Roulade In A Hurry
If you need to shave some time off this recipe use jarred sauce and skip making a homemade version. You can place the chicken roulade on top of the sauce or the sauce on top of the chicken. This recipe also makes a great appetizer – just place each pinwheel of chicken on a wooden pick and serve.
Chicken Roulade Ingredients:
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 4 slices prosciutto
- 8 large spinach leaves
- 2 roasted red or yellow peppers
- 4 Tbs. shredded cheese
- Sea salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- 3 Tbs. coconut oil, divided
- 1 cup diced plum tomatoes
- 1/8 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 Tbs. thin sliced basil leaves
Chicken Roulade Directions:
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Pound chicken breasts very thin. Cut chicken breasts in half. Cut prosciutto pieces strips in half.
- Top each breast with prosciutto slice, 2 spinach leaves, ½ pepper, and 1 Tbs. cheese.
- Roll chicken around filling and secure with wooden picks. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat 2 Tbs. oil in an oven-proof skillet. Add chicken, seam side up. Turn until all sides are browned.
- Place chicken in oven for 15 minutes or until cooked through and filling is hot.
- While chicken is cooking heat remaining tablespoon of oil to small saucepan. Add tomato and oregano to pot. Cook uncovered for about 6 minutes or until warmed. Add 1 tablespoon fresh basil.
- Slice chicken to serve. Top with tomato mixture and remaining basil.