No surprise, the weather has turned yucky and I’ve turned to my slow cooker. I’ve talked repeatedly about how much I love using a slow cooker for it’s convenience, health benefits, and of course, because my house smells great when I get home. So, I won’t rehash it all again here. Check out Slow Cooker Coq Au Vin video for more about the health benefits and why I use chicken with skin and bones. Check out Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff video to learn how to layer foods in the slow cooker and how to save money by using cheaper cuts of meat. Make a simple “mix & go” recipe for Slow Cooker Pulled Pork. Or one of my family’s favorites, Slow Cooker Lasagna Casserole.
The one problem I have with almost all slow cooker recipes is that the colors always seem to come out a brown-gray. Not always the most appealing. So, I started playing with more colorful spices to create a chicken and garbano beans recipe. It’s not quite Indian but the brilliant yellow with a savory and sweet flavor was definitely a winner.
Chicken and Garbanzo Beans Ingredients:
- 1 ½ Tbsp coconut oil
- 8 bone-in chicken thighs
- 1 ¼ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 8-10 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 ¼ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ¾ tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 5 drops stevia
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2/3 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 3 ½ cups cooked garbanzo beans or 2 15 oz cans drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves
- One lemon, cut in wedges
Chicken and Garbanzo Beans Directions:
- Chop onion and garlic and allow to rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Sprinkle meaty side of chicken with ½ tsp sea salt and black pepper.
- Heat slow cooker over medium high heat. Add coconut oil, stir to melt.
- Add chicken to slow cooker, meaty side down; cook for about 5 minutes or until well browned. Remove from slow cooker.
- Add onion to slow cooker and sauté until soft, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and spices (ingredients through red pepper flakes); cook for 1 minute stirring constantly.
- Add remaining sea salt, stock, stevia, and cinnamon stick. Scrape bottom of slow cooker to loosen any browned bits. Bring to a simmer.
- Add apricots and garbanzo beans; stir.
- Arrange chicken thighs, browned side up, on top of garbanzo mixture. Cover and cook on low for 7 hours.
- Discard cinnamon stick. Sprinkle with cilantro. Serve with lemon wedges.