Brussel sprouts can lower cholesterol when steamed. This is because the fiber-related components in Brussel sprouts do a better job of binding together with bile acids in your digestive tract when they’ve been steamed. When bound together, it’s easier for bile acids to be excreted, which results in a lowering of cholesterol levels.
1 pound Brussel Sprouts
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 medium cloves garlic
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp capers
- 2 tsp minced fresh basil
- 1-2 Tbsp chopped, toasted sunflower seeds
- Sea salt & fresh ground pepper, to taste
Directions For Yummy Brussel Sprouts:
- Fill the bottom of the steamer with 2 inches of water.
- Remove a thin slice from the bottom of the Brussels Sprouts. Remove any yellow outer leaves. Cut in quarters. Let sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Chop or press garlic and let sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Steam Brussels Sprouts for 5 minutes. Add garlic to Brussel Sprouts for the last 2 minutes of steaming.
- Whisk together dressing ingredients.
- Transfer Brussel Sprouts to a bowl. Pour dressing over Brussel Sprouts while still hot.
- Sprinkle with sunflowr seeds.