As the last of the summer produce is winding down, I want to enjoy it all. Corn and peppers are always in abundance right now so adding black beans makes a quick, easy salad.
The beauty of this type of salad is it’s versatility. You can soak and prepare black beans in advance or, in a pinch, use a can of black beans (just make sure it is BPA free). You can freeze extra corn from the harvest and throw this together during the winter for a colorful reminder of summer since black beans are available year round. Because black beans are a decent protein this can be a quick meal or a side dish.
There are no exact measurements to a black bean and corn salad because it’s all about what you have available, the amount of time you want to prep, and your taste preference. There is no right or wrong with this recipe. Remember not to skimp on the extra virgin olive oil though as that is the fat that will help the vitamins and minerals absorb.
Black Bean and Corn Salad Ingredients:
- 1 ½ cup black beans
- 2-3 ears of corn
- 2-3 green onions
- ½-1 red pepper
- ½-1 green pepper
- Sea salt
- Fresh black pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of one lemon
- Cilantro, chopped
- Parmesan cheese, grated (optional)
Black Bean and Corn Salad Directions:
- Chop green onions, red, and green pepper.
- Remove kernels of corn from cob.
- Mix black beans, corn, onion, and peppers together in a bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together salt, pepper, oil, and lemon juice until emulsified.
- Add dressing to black beans and vegetables. Mix together. Top with cilantro and parmesan.