Understanding our dominant gland helps us identify how our body creates energy, especially when we are stressed or tired. If you haven’t found your dominant gland, click here. There aren’t many foods that work well for everyone, but beets are about the best. This beets recipe will help balance all types while using apple cider vinegar to help with digestion.
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 1 small red onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 ½ teaspoon white or black peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 pounds medium sized red beets
- Thinly slice red onion and allow to rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Quarter garlic cloves and allow to rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Using gloves, wash, peel and chop beets into uniform pieces about 2 inches square.
- Fill the bottom of the steamer with 2 inches of water.
- Steam beets, covered for 10-15 minutes. Cooking is complete when you can easily insert a fork. Transfer to a bowl.
- In a saucepan, bring vinegar, water, coconut sugar, onion, garlic, mustard seeds, bay leaves, cloves, peppercorns, thyme, and oregano to a boil.
- Pour the hot liquid over the beets and let stand at room temperature for 4 hours or refrigerate overnight.
- Drain beets to serve. Freeze liquid for additional batches of beets.