I don’t often create recipes for non-clients but during my Holiday Survival (Success) Guide radio show Eat Well to Live Well with Kellie Hill which aired Monday, November 4th I answered listener questions. A lady named Mary asked about what to bring to her holiday office potluck that would be a healthy choice. Although I discussed how to protect your food choices before going to any party, I wanted to provide a special potluck appetizer recipe that could be thrown together in 10-15 minutes and be the healthiest, tastiest appetizer at the party. Plus people will be amazed when they find out this appetizer is quick, easy, and nutritious.
Appetizer Options for Quick, Healthy Potlucks
Appetizer Raw Vegetable Chip Ingredients:
- 1 bunch red radishes
- 1 bunch turnips
- 1 small jicama
- 1 medium daikon radish
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon coconut sugar
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 teaspoons fresh lime zest
Appetizer – Raw Vegetable Chip Directions:
- Wash all vegetables. Trim red radishes and turnips. Peel jicama and daikon radish.
- Slice vegetables about ¼ inch thick. Halve any large slices of jicama.
- Place vegetables on serving platter.
- Place seasonings in a mini food processor and grind together until well blended.
- Scatter seasoning mixture over the vegetables.
Appetizer – Caramelized Onion Dip Ingredients:
- 2 teaspoons grape seed oil
- 1 medium sweet onion
- 2 scallions
- 1 ¼ cup full fat, grass fed, pastured Greek yogurt
- ¾ teaspoon onion powder
- ¾ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- ¼ teaspoon fresh rosemary (optional)
Appetizer – Caramelized Onion Dip Directions:
- Mince onion and allow to sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Thinly slice scallions, separating greens and whites.
- Heat a stainless steel skillet until a drop of water “dances”. Add grape seed oil. Add sweet onion and scallion whites. Cook over medium-low heat stirring frequently, until caramelized about 60 minutes. Remove from heat and allow onions to cool.
- Puree onion and yogurt in blender or food processor until smooth.
- Add onion greens and seasonings. Pulse until finely chopped.
- Spoon into serving dish. Serve.