Coconut milk is manufactured by squeezing or extracting the liquid from coconut meat. Coconut milk has a milky white color creamy texture and nutty flavor. Some coconut milk is watered down to reduce the fat content. This is called lowfat or light coconut milk. But to regain the milks necessary thick texture for recipes, thickeners, such as Guar gum are usually added. Avoid the lowfat coconut milk. Canned coconut milk can have separation especially for brands that do not use thickeners. To mix simply shake the can vigorously before opening.
- 2 ½ cups vegetable stock
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 Tbs fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbs tamari
- 4 Tbs coconut sugar
- ¼ cup fresh grated ginger
- Juice and zest of a lime
- 1 Tbs chili paste
- Cooked cubed chicken, tempeh, or shrimp (optional)
- Place all ingredients in a large saucepan. Blend with a stick blender.
- Add protein source if desired.
- Warm to desired level making sure sugar is dissolved. Serve hot.
Soba noodles can be added by bringing the soup to a boil, adding noodles for three minutes, then serve.